Suggestions and help for getting started can be found in Developing an Education Equity Plan in the Pre-K to 12 Educational Context. This document discusses procedural issues and some typical components or action areas of education equity plans:
- increasing the proportion of Aboriginal teaching and non-teaching staff;
- increasing Aboriginal content in the curriculum;
- increasing parental involvement in school activities;
- reviewing school policies and practices for bias or systemic barriers;
- providing cross-cultural and anti-racist training for teachers;
- developing anti-discrimination policies and procedures to protect both students and staff;
- improving the accessibility of learning environments;
- accommodating student needs; and
- partnership development.
Educational partners are free to add other initiatives, and are welcome to contact SHRC Education & Equity Advisors for advice on ways to develop and improve their individual plans.